A Bit of HistoryI started managing and synchronizing my bookmarks with the Google toolbar a while ago, then migrated to using a Google notebook during the short life of that tool, and from there had moved to using GMarks because it could read and write the bookmark definitions I had on Google notebook. My bookmarks have had a long and varied life as they traveled from place to place...
He suggested that I might try "Xmarks", since that was the bookmark sync solution he'd been using and preferred for a while. I'm a "slow study", but decided I'd try it as an experiment.
XMarks installed easily into Firefox and accepted my manually entered bookmark just fine. I didn't see any obvious options to sync my GMarks bookmarks, but was willing to experiment without that feature initially. It seemed to work smoothly and well.
Chrome and Internet Explorer
I prefer to switch between browsers frequently in hopes that will lead me to discover bugs in our software more quickly. I move between IE, Firefox, and Chrome frequently. I installed the XMarks add-on to Chrome and it offered to sync my Chrome bookmarks to XMarks. That was a great offer, since Chrome had pulled all my bookmarks from the Google bookmark location where I had stored them. I now had all my bookmarks in XMarks, without entering them myself. Thanks Chrome!
The Internet Explorer XMarks add-on was just as simple to install, and just as well behaved. Now my bookmarks are the same on any browser I use, or at least any browser I use where I can control the browser add-ons installed.